HOW TO USE VIDEOS IN H5P PRESENTATIONS – COMBINING VIDEO AND SLIDES.
Topics covered in this post:
Watch video about combining videos and H5P slides.
WHAT IS H5P?
H5P is a free open source instructional design tool that allows creating more interactive learning objects and resources. H5P allows to create rich and interactive web experiences more efficiently – all you need is a web browser and a web site or LMS with an H5P plugin – there is no license required, so it is often a go-to tool for those who can not use articulate storyline.H5P supports several platforms, and I would expect that more platforms are added to that list.
H5P offers a range of content types for various needs.
Images from: www.H5P.org
HOW TO USE VIDEOS IN H5P PRESENTATIONS?
H5P helps to make your presentation more interactive and engaging using a range of functionalities. Embedding videos in the slides is one of these functionalities.Here are a couple of examples of how you can combine video and H5P presentations.
MULTIPLE VIDEOS IN ONE SLIDE AN – AN EXAMPLE OF H5P SLIDE INTRODUCING THE TEAM.
You can introduce the entire team on a single slide – instead of pages of text or several slides use video clips. This way, each member can introduce themselves, creating much more personalised content experience.
Check out the mock-up example below in the first slide (note – embedded videos have no audio track).
The same concept can be applied to other scenarios:
- You can introduce content – with the video, you can present a more detailed outline of modules on a single slide that it would be possible with text.
- You can explain concepts or graphs – you might add videos on the slide where the spoken explanation would work better than text or diagram on its own.
- You can use video to gamify your content. You can create a sort of quiz – ask a question and give three answers. When learners choose the solution, the feedback video will play. This trick allows giving instant feedback.
- You can also use videos for creating branching scenarios, but there is a bit more to plan and design around here (so basically more slides with more options linked to each other would be required).
VIDEO PRESENTATION – CREATING AN ILLUSION OF INTERACTIVE VIDEO USING H5P.
Another way of combining video with slides is by turning your H5P presentation into an interactive video presentation. See an example below – you can use the side menu to navigate to slides.
Why and when can you consider creating a video-presentation in H5P?
The research shows that the majority of viewers want informational and instructional videos to be short – the preference ranges around 3-6 minute video length (you can read more about people’s viewing habits and preferences around instructional and informational videos at the Techismith Blog). Of course, it differs and ultimately depends on the context, your target audience and the main goal of your video (here are some examples of different durations for videos from Learndash).
But let say you have a video that is quite long (let say 20 or 30 minutes) and covers a few distinct topics or themes (let say.. 5..). What you can do here is to split this video into six shorter clips and have each of them in a separate slide.
By deciding to do that, you are achieving several things:
- You are keeping your videos short for starters.
- One of the reasons learners drop out from longer videos is that they don’t know if the content is relevant. By including titles of each video section in the side menu you keep learners informed.
- The menu itself creates a sense of control – learners can decide themself what is important (based on their goals) and build their own learning journey. You address learner’s need for self-direction and appeal to their motivation.
These all are principles of adult education.
If you want to know how to create this sort of interactive video presentation and get side navigation background template completely FREE, check my post How to create an illusion of interactive video using H5P presentation?
Ok, that’s just a few ideas, and there are definitely many more options and possibilities.I am really curious to find out if there are any cool and successful approaches for combining video with H5P presentations you can recommend?
LINKS TO FREE TEMPLATES AND RESOURCES.
Make sure to check the posts listed below – the step-by-step tutorials and free templates that you can download and include in your projects.You can also subscribe to my mailing list and receive freebees, templates and resources straight into your inbox!
LEARN MORE ABOUT H5P:
SUBSCRIBE AND GET THE PRINTABLE LEARNING CARDS FOR FREE!
MORE RESOURCES ON LEARNING TYPES
 Laurillard, D, 2002. Rethinking University Teaching: A Conversational Framework for the Effective Use of Learning Technologies, 2nd edition. London: Routledg
Hi, I am Gerta.
Welcome to my blog.
eLearning tips & tricks
Get free resources, design & technology tips sent to your inbox!
H5P Interactive Video – examples of all interactions.
How to use video in H5P slides – combining video and H5P presentation
Six Learndash Plugins For Your first WordPress LMS
Zoom meetings – how to Vote and use Raise Hand option
Dictation can save your time. My favourite dictation and voice-to-text app is Otter.ai
9 events of instruction by Robert Gagné
LearnDash LMS on WordPress website Demo